Hi everyone, OP here.
I've finally managed to carve out some more time to work on the remaining issues and get the game into a
state that I think might be considered for a 'final' release. Lots of small annoyances have been resolved
(full list is below) and there's a significant frame rate boost from the October 2016 preview release -
partially thanks to the new GCC 7.1 compiler kindly made available by ggn, dml and co.
A zipfile containing the .ST disk image is attached to this post - please take a look and let me know
if there's anything that you think should stop this from being a final release of the game. As with the
previous release, an STE with one meg is required.
Here's a list of all the improvements I can think of that have been implemented since the last
release - it might not necessarily be exhaustive:
- Game logic now runs at 60 frames per second instead of 50, bringing the speed and difficulty
in line with the arcade game;
- The sky gradient is back;
- The final billboard on the right before the start line is now correct;
- The volume of the skid sound sample has been reduced to a reasonable level;
- Mount Fuji in the background is now rendered in the correct colour;
- Several optimisations mainly around text rendering;
- The 'EXTENDED PLAY!' and 'POLE POSITION!' in-game text now has the exclamation mark
as per the arcade version;
- Puddle sprites no longer overlap car sprites;
- Code compiled with GCC 7.1 for a significant performance increase.
Sorry to all the people who have requested the wheel spinning animation - I'm struggling to
find a way to do this in a reasonable amount of time so it's unlikely to make the cut.
OriginsBased on Namco/Atari 1982 coin-op. Unofficial version.
Conversion - Atari 2600
Conversion - Atari 5200
Conversion - Atari 8-bit