Instructions on running Bard's Tale from a ram drive.
TOS in roms
1 meg ram
One time Installation:
1. Set up a diskette with an empty AUTO folder.
2. Place the enclosed ramdisk program RMD.PRG in the auto folder.
3. Install a drive M: on the desktop.
4. Save the desktop.
5. Place the program RBARD.PRG on this diskette.
To play the game:
1. Cold boot the same diskette that the ramdisk (RMD) resides on. Be sure that
there are no desk accessories installed. No room in ram.
2. Copy RBARD.PRG to the M: drive.
3. From the picture disk, copy BPICS, CITYTREE, LEVS, CITY.PAT to the M: drive.
4, From the program disk, copy all files except for BARD.PRG and DESKTOP.INF
to the M: drive.
5. Start RBARD.PRG on the M: drive with the program disk in the A: drive.
6. The rest is magic.
The fine print:
This ramdisk is specially modified for this application. The source was
placed in the PD and is copyright Atari. Not super fast but easy to
change. It is NOT reset proof.
The program RBARD.PRG and source are copyright me but I place it in the
public domain, no strings. Exiting Bards Tale causes the computer to
crash and the source is included for your enhancement. Everything seems
to work just fine and your characters are saved reliably. It was written
with ASSEMPRO by Abacus.
If you find you don't have enough memory to run this even though you fit
the hardware requirements, then the version of TOS in your roms has more
overhead than my version. A few K difference would be too much.