STEEL TALONS -(V2.20)
The two LZH archives should contain:
ace.tos ------------> The Talons executable (no symbols)
picsf.dk------------> The compressed bit images
advice.dk-----------> The ONLY PCM sampled sound files we have
talobj.obj----------> The 3-D object definitions in TOOL.PRG format
talbits.dat---------> Supplementary info for 3-D objects
newinter.lod--------> DSP code in (temporary) LOD format
1. It will load from any resolution and runs on the standard Atari AND VGA
monitors (TV as well, I suppose. -Let us know about its NTSC performance).
On VGA, we are using the line-doubling technique which inevitably
produces coarser-looking line edges.
2. We have re-enabled the sound. It now plays the start of mission advice
and a crude gunshot.
3. More 3-D code has been sub-contracted to the DSP.
4. Object coloring has been improved. We feel we are getting results closer
to what the designers intended.
5. The control system corresponds to that which was Fax'ed to you in early
December and its description is repeated here:
Fire 2: Missiles/Rockets
Fire 1: 30mm gun
Fire 0: 'Shift' button for Throttle and Rudder
Option: Zoom in/out (toggle)
U, D, L, R: the Cyclic (when Fire 0 not pressed)
the Collective (U/D) and Rudder (L/R) (when Fire 0 is)
Pause: not used yet.
The Cyclic L/R, Collective and Rudder are self-centering.
6. Exit to the desktop is now possible via Alt-Q (no warning)
7. NOTE: Mission selection is based on the joystick. According to the
original game philosophy, missions are only selected ON THE DIAGONALS.
(ie L+U for Top left corner, L+D for Bottom left etc).
8. We haven't done a memory audit yet, but we are sure it will not
work on a 1 Meg machine.
9. High scores and Best times are saved to two files (nothing happens if
current disk is write-protected diskette). If these files exist, they
are loaded at start-up time, otherwise defaults are used.
10. 5 refuels are allowed. After that, you're dead. Let us know if your
people feel that's enough.
11. Attract mode is interrupted by pressing the fire button or key 's'.
In game mode, pressing ESC takes you back to Attract.
Keyboard cursor keys (still there unless you want them out):
Up/down : Throttle (self-centering)
Left/Right: Rudder (self-centering)
Spacebar/'a' -> Fire missiles
'z' -> Zoom in/out of cockpit
The debugging keys have now been disabled (for your version)
WE HOPE THIS WORKS WHEN YOU RECEIVE IT!!!
OriginsBased on Atari Games 1991 coin-op.
Conversion - Atari Lynx