Boggler is a Boggle-type game for the ST, pitting you against
your computer. The game is GEM-based, and should be fairly easy to
learn if you know your way around GEM at all. This little file
just explains some of the play options and quirks.
The window in the upper left is the playing board. This is
where the "dice" appear for play. The object of the game is to
form words by connecting adjoining dice. They must always be
adjacent, but the play options set different criteria for which of
those letters can be used.
If the "Re-use letters" option is NOT checked then any
particular die can be used only once, otherwise that die can be
used more than once for any word. If the "Border wrap" option is
checked, then the top and bottom letters connect, as do the left
and right letters. If the "Use new words" option is NOT checked,
then only words loaded from the dictionary will be used, otherwise
all valid words, including new words from the user in previous
games, will be used. Examples:
With the -> |snd|
game board -> |mol|
is like this -> |prt|
The words ROD, PORT, and SNORT are always valid.
Re-use checked allows for the words: MOON, TOSS, PROP, and DODOS,
which would otherwise be invalid.
Border wrap checked allows for the words: PORTS, LORDS, and LOPS,
which would otherwise be invalid. (Note: T and S are
connected diagonally, as would be R and D. In fact, on a 3x3
board, all letters are adjacent!)
Other things to know (in no particular order):
- Loading a new dictionary can be a lengthy task, especially
when a large dictionary is already present and has to be deleted
node by node. Just wait for it, and it will eventually be done.
- Any messages the program sends to you appear in the title
bar of the bottom left window.
- The program is very careful about not letting you pick an
option which is not valid at that time. For example, no play
options can be changed while a game is in play.
- Change the checked size under "Options" to change the board
size for the next game.
- The window on the right has an active vertical scroll bar
once the window is made active.
- "Set up board" lets you create your own board. Instructions
will be presented in the right window. The board size will be the
size that is checked under "Options".
- Use the "Play Current" selection under "Do it!" to play the
current board. This is for when you want to replay a game,
possibly with different options, or after having loaded a board
from disk, or after having used "Set up board".
- "Play Current" is not valid if the size of the board does
not match the size checked under "Options".
- Words which the opponent did not use are marked with "*".
- "I'm finished" stops the game and lets the computer
compete. "Abandon" halts play without giving the computer a chance
- Default dictionary file is "BOGGLER.DIC". Boards have the
- Dictionary files are lists of words separated with carriage
returns and linefeeds. If you have a similar dictionary from, say,
a spelling checker, it can be used. All words must be longer than
two letters and less than 11, however.
- The "u" after "Q" is optional, so "IRAQ" is valid (given you
are using proper nouns).
That's about all that needs to be said. The best way to get
to know the program is to play it a couple of times, so have fun!