CASSETTE LOADING INSTRUCTIONS
- Connect your Atari computer to the television switch box, power supply, and Atari 410 program recorder as shown in the owner's manual. Make sure your Atari BASIC cartridge is inserted into your home computer. Turn on the television and then the computer.
- Place the cassette in the program recorder (the program is recorded on both sides). Rewind the cassette to start of the tape. Type CLOAD and then press RETURN. You will then hear a beep from the computer to remind you to press PLAY on the program recorder. After pressing PLAY on the program recorder, again, press the RETURN key. The cassette tape will start to turn and load program into memory.
- When the tape stops, your screen will display a ready prompt. To run your program, type RUN and press RETURN.
DISKETTE LOADING INSTRUCTIONS
- Connect the Atari computer to the television switch box, power supply and Atari 81O disk drive, as shown in owner's manual. Make sure your Atari BASIC cartridge is inserted into your home computer.
- Turn the drive on. After the busy light goes out, open the door on the disk drive, insert the disk and close disk drive door. Turn the computer power switch on, and the program will automatically start loading into computer.
GENERAL GAME DESCRIPTION
ANTI-SUB PATROL is a tactical pursuit game where you, as head of a squadron of destroyer escorts, attempt to rid the waters of two submarines who, at the same time, are trying to destroy you. You are equipped with sonar, a course finder, and unlimited depth charges. The subs, on the other hand, are capable of silent running, evasive maneuvers, or firing torpedoes.
GETTING READY TO PLAY
If everything began well, you should receive a STAND BY signal from fleet command. You start out with three destroyers under your command, which you deploy one at a time. Your goal is to find and destroy an enemy sub hidden somewhere on the display grid.
UNDERWAY FOR ANTI-SUB PATROL
- Use your joystick to maneuver your ship (represented by the red dot) to a position from which you can sound out the enemy. By pressing the joystick button, you begin the search. The Bow indicator at the top of the screen represents the direction your ship is facing, and that is the direction the sonar scan will be directed.
- You will hear a series of beeps indicating the distance the sub is from your ship. The faster the beeps, the closer the sub is to you. You should also notice two arrows in the lower left of the screen. These indicate the submarines general area. The sub will always be located in the area defined by the arrows. If the words NO DATA appear, the sub is in silent running mode and is deeper underwater. Note that the sub only travels at three depths. At depths 1 and 2, the sub can be tracked. At depth three, it automatically goes into silent running.
- At the bottom of the display an indicator known as SUB PATH lets you know the sub's course. It always moves diagonally, so the only possible directions of movement are Northeast, Northwest, Southeast and Southwest.
- Your turn is over once you have pressed the joystick button. If the sub is not close by, all parameters will be updated to reflect the current indications about the submarine. If the sub spots you, ENEMY SONAR may appear at the top of the screen.
- If your ship is within torpedo range, he will fire a torpedo. You have one chance at an evasive move. Use it to move one space in any direction except diagonally. The torpedoes are not that accurate, however, and you may want to hold your position.
- If you are within one space of the sub's location, SUB IN AREA will be displayed on the scan. If you are directly over the sub, SUB BELOW will appear. You will now automatically go into ATTACK MODE.
- You must aim your cursor at the point you believe the sub is relative to you. If he is directly below, do not move the cursor. Press the joystick button. Moving the joystick will cause the depth at which the depth charge will go off (shown under AIM DISPLAY) to change from I to III. Choose the depth and press the joystick button to fire the depth charge.
- If you hit the submarine, SUBMARINE BLASTED will be displayed at the top of the screen. If this was the first sub, the second will then be brought into action, and for the time being, you can bring your crews to Condition 3 (STAND EASY).
WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU MISS THE SUBMARINE
The submarines are capable of two types of evasive maneuvers. It can go into silent running, or it can change directions and move as many as five positions away.
Yes, there is an enemy mine placed somewhere in the area. If it is destroyed (along with your ship), a new one will be placed randomly by the enemy.
Although you may sometimes get a reading of FISH on the sonar, remember your mission.
- After you have gotten both submarines, or have had your squadron destroyed, you will be given a rank dependent on the number of subs destroyed and number of turns taken.
- Remember to keep your eye on the direction of torpedo fire. This can give you a good idea of the sub's location. Also watch the reminder arrows on the lower left of the screen. They will give you information on the sub's general whereabouts. Finally, check the SUB PATH indicator after a sub's move.
- Keep tracking him or he'll come up behind you and blast you out of the water.
Remember you're on the bridge in charge of a squadron of destroyer escorts. The fleet is depending on you to clear them out. Time is running out-fuel is getting low-and the fleet is getting near. Can you do it?